...by Daniel Szego
quote
"On a long enough timeline we will all become Satoshi Nakamoto.."
Daniel Szego

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Phases of learning solidity programming

Month 1: Yes, I can program in Solidity ! This is an easy language, similar to Javascript, with some types.

Month 2: Wait, Underflow / overflow ? I thought they can not cause problems.

Month 3: But, I should upgrade my contract ? Because it contains already ether and I forgot to implement an etherTransfer function ?

Month 4: Cool, I have some upgrade patterns, but they cost too much ether.

Month 5: Ooh, msg.sender, tr.origin, contract in the middle attacks ?

Month 6: Or, Fallback function ? Reentrancy ?

Month 7: Hmm, A transaction is always atomic, right ? So what is with address.transfer or address.call.value ?

Month 8: And, Libraries, Delegate calls ?

Month 9: Hence,  Stack, call stack attacks and front running?

Month 10: So, How about just reusing some ready libraries ? Like OpenZeppelin ?

Month 11: Or, Formal verification, bug-bounty, military programming ?

Month 12: No, I can not program in Solidity !